VITA Free Tax Prep 2022
By appointment, JAN 29-APR 9
See appointment calendar for overall days/times.
IRS-certified tax preparers do your taxes -- follow these steps:
Step 1: Pick up a tax prep packet in the library lobby or download the packet documents here:
-Tax process brochure
-Directions for preparing tax packet
-Form 14446 VITA/TCE taxpayer consent
-Form 13614-C intake/interview
-Stimulus question form
Step 2: Homework
-Follow directions for preparing tax packet to complete forms and gather your tax documents.
-Click here to make your Drop-Off appointment (starting MON, JAN 24).
Step 3: Drop-Off appointment at the library
-Come to the library parking lot North Door (look for sign).
-Follow directions on sign to contact tax program. Please wait in your vehicle.
-You will meet with a tax preparer and leave your packet to be processed.
Step 4: Review/Sign appointment
-VITA contacts you when your taxes are completed.
-Make your Review/Sign appointment.
-Come to library parking lot North Door, once again follow the directions to contact tax program.
-You will be given directions on the phone. Please wait in your vehicle.
Step 5: VITA e-files your taxes
(e-file is highly recommended, but VITA can prepare paper returns)
TAX DROP-OFF AND REVIEW/SIGN IS BY APPOINTMENT!
- Appointments may take about 30 minutes.
- Prepare your packet and make your Drop-Off appointment ASAP.
- Tax processing time depends on volunteer work flow.
- After you have been notified that your taxes are complete, make your Review/Sign appointment ASAP.
- Best to prepare your taxes in February/early March.
- Limited Drop-offs and Review/Signs may be allowed without an appointment if volunteers are not busy; show up at the parking lot North Door and follow instructions on the sign to contact the tax program.
- Appointments are best!
Do you qualify for VITA to prepare your taxes?
What kind of returns does VITA prepare?
We DO PREPARE and efile**
- Returns with claims for those who didn’t receive Economic Impact Payments
- Prior year tax returns
- Self-employment, independent contractor returns
- Tax credits: EITC, education, child care….
- Schedules A, B, C, D
- ITIN application (paper) tax returns
We DO NOT PREPARE**
- Rentals (schedule E) (includes Air B&B)
- NY, CA, Conn, complex state returns
- Healthcare with “shared policy allocation”
- 1040 N/R (non-residents: in US less than 183 days)
- Very complex returns, unusual investment returns
- Bitcoin, virtual currency
**incomplete lists, email questions to tetonVITA@gmail.com.
Call VITA at (307)264-5777 if you need help making appointments or have questions about the tax prep process.
Email VITA at tetonVITA@gmail.com if you have questions while preparing your packet, or tax-specific questions. Never share PII over email (personally identifiable information like social security numbers, birth dates, and ITIN numbers).