LIBRARY HOURS: MON-THU 10-8pm FRI 10-6pm SAT 10-5pm & SUN 1-5pm | Closures | (307) 733-2164

The Teton County Library

Font Size:



April 19, 2012

Teton County Library Board Meeting Minutes
Thursday, April 19, 2012 12:00 PM (Approved 5/17/12)

Bill Wotkyns, Member At Large, called the meeting to order at 12:15 PM

Attending were: Board members Bill Wotkyns, Clark Heindl and Patricia Moeller; Teton County Commission liaison Andy Schwartz; TCL Staff Deb Adams, Dail Barbour and Sally McCullough, and TCL Foundation staff Missy Falcey and Pauline Towers-Dykeman; Guest Jim Moses.

Correspondence from the public-None.

Approval of Minutes- Clark moved to approve the meeting minutes from March 1 and 15, 2012, Patricia seconded, all voted in favor.

Section 215 Report-There were no requests under Section 215 of the Patriot Act.

Friends Report-Bill reported that the Friends had a meeting last month at the Wort. They gave Debbie Webb an award. Everything is on budget and going well.  The book sale is next month and will be held at the Virginian again.

Foundation Report-No report.

Financials
Monthly Report- Deb reported that the regular budget is on track.  She informed the Board that the Library might not receive the full budgeted property tax revenue this fiscal year but the shortfall would be received next year in delinquent taxes.  The shortfall may be approximately $30,000 to $40,000.  Snowplowing will be over budget for the year.
Action Item: Approve Vouchers-Clark moved to approve the April vouchers, Patricia seconded, all voted in favor.
Update on SPET cash flow process- A meeting was held with GE Johnson; the Foundation; TCL accountant Susan Crosser; Board Treasurer Clark Heindl;  Assistant Project Manager Stan Zaist; and TCL staff Deb, Dail and Sally, to review the financing process on the construction project. When expenses exceed revenue, the Library will hold out enough money to continue to pay direct owner purchases and contracts.  Any unpaid balance will be for GE Johnson pay applications.  It was agreed that GE Johnson should not pay any Library contracts and/or direct owner purchases.  The financing costs will be a direct bill to the Foundation, not to exceed $50,000.  There will still be about an $80,000 savings through direct owner purchases, even with the financing costs.  SPET receipts are running as projected and the need for financing is estimated to start in June.
Facilities Planning
Progress Report on Addition/Renovation Project
Recommendation on Library Closure for Phase I/II turnover-This closure is to get ready for the opening of the children/teen wing and reconfiguration of the existing space for renovation.  Thursday, June 21 would be the first day of the closure, reopening on Saturday, July 7. 
Action Item: Approve Library Closure-Clark moved to approve the Library Closure for Phase I/II turnover, Patricia seconded, all voted in favor.

Recommendation on Change Order to GE Johnson Contract- Dail reviewed Change Order No. 4 (see attached). The net increase to the GMP will be $186,850, which will come from the contingencies.  The biggest item on this change order is the roof.  The original design called for a ballasted roof with gravel on top. There was some concern with the new roof design that over time the gravel would creep, requiring constant maintenance. After much discussion the OAC committee decided on a standing seam metal roof, which has a longer warranty of 30 years and less maintenance.  The color will be dark, slate gray. 
Action Item: Approve GE Johnson Contract Change Order-Clark moved to approve the GE Johnson Contract Change Order, Patricia seconded, all voted in favor.

Recommendation on Change Order to Gilday Architects Contract – Deb reviewed the change order (see attached).  Gilday Architects are requesting an additional $32,000.00 for reimbursable expenses required for out-of town site visits during Construction Phase, $10,000.00 for additional design services to relocate existing entry canopy and $4,000.00 for additional design services for roof substitution.  These items will also come out of the owner’s contingency fund.
Action Item: Approve Gilday Architects Contract Change Order-Clark moved to approve Gilday Architects Contract Change Order, Patricia seconded, all voted in favor.

Recommendation on Security Contract- this is an expansion of the library’s existing contract with Watchguard for added security, and is not to exceed $20,000.00.  This item will come in under budget.
Action Item: Approve Security Contract-Clark moved to approve the Security Contract, Patricia seconded, all voted in favor.

Recommendation on Public Art Finalist-The Public Art Selection Panel will meet on Monday evening, April 23rd, to determine the finalist recommendation. It was agreed to continue this meeting to proceed with this agenda item.
Action Item: Patricia moved to continue this agenda item to a continued meeting on Thursday, April 26th at 12:00 PM, Clark seconded, all voted in favor.

Update on preliminary Commissioner Budget discussions- Andy gave an update on the current discussions.

Director’s Report
Staffing Update-The newest hire is Stephanie Franco, who started on Monday, she is bi-lingual. Deb is hoping to hire pages before July 1, so that they will be ready for the wing opening. D Gifford is the new Youth Services Manager.  Deb will invite them to the next meeting to meet the Board.

Management Team report on staff feedback on proposed Library Behavior Policy- Deb reported on staff feedback received on the proposed Library Behavior Policy.  The predominant theme from all teams was around food and the potential mess, noise, and smell.  No Food is easy to enforce, vagueness is difficult.  A suggestion was to allow food only in the lobby, which will have concrete floors and is more of a natural space for it, with some tables and seating available.  Another suggestion was that it might make more sense to say Respect Library Property instead of Respect the Space.  The Management Team would like to go back and draw up some staff guidelines for dealing with these situations.  Discussion followed on the procedure for policy changes. 

Update on Strategic Directions process - Deb provided a short article on understanding the needs of a community and gave an update on what the Management Team has been working on.  Listening is the key to this understanding. 
Action Items: None.

New Business-None

The meeting will continue on Thursday, April 26th at 12:00 PM, to conduct the following agenda item:
Recommendation on Public Art Finalist
Action Item: Approve Public Art Finalist