LIBRARY HOURS: MON-THU 10-8pm FRI 10-6pm SAT 10-5pm & SUN 1-5pm | Closures | (307) 733-2164

The Teton County Library

Font Size:



January 17, 2013

MINUTES TETON COUNTY LIBRARY BOARD MEETING Approved 2/21/13
Thursday, January 17, 2013 12:00 PM
Teton County Library

Nancy Guthrie, Vice President called the meeting to order.

Attending were: Board members Nancy Guthrie, Jim Moses, Patricia Moeller and Clark Heindl; TCL staff Deb Adams, Dail Barbour and Sally McCullough and TCL Foundation staff Missy Falcey and Pauline Towers-Dykeman.

Correspondence Report - No correspondence received.

Public Comment on Correspondence – None.

Section 215 Report – No requests.

Consent Agenda
• Minutes from December 2012 board meeting
• January Vouchers
• Director’s Report
• Foundation Report
• Friends Report

Action Item: Jim moved to approve the Consent Agenda items, Patricia seconded, all voted in favor.

Library Open Hours
Recommendation on Saturday Open Hours (10:00 - 5:00): This change will add three (3) open hours.  There is still one position unfilled in our current fiscal year budget.  The reduced Saturday hours have been the most missed by our patrons. We are able to staff these extra hours because of more efficient processing of returned materials in the newly reconfigured front desk and discharge room.

Action Item: Patricia moved to approve the change in Saturday open hours to 10:00 – 5:00, Clark seconded, all voted in favor.

Construction Manager Contract Change Order
Review of CMAR Contract Change Order #9: This is a change to our contract with GEJCC and is a credit.  There were some items that were not needed and some additions - bike racks, the sliding door in the Friends Book Nook which will be reimbursed by the Friends and the fireplace screen which will be reimbursed by the Foundation.

Action Item: Patricia moved to approve CMAR Contract Change Order #9, Clark seconded, all voted in favor.


Strategic Planning
Draft Vision/Mission Statement
Engagement with Staff – Jim reported on the management team meeting that he & Lisa attended.  Lisa presented the Draft Vision/Mission Statement to the team. The team expressed a strong desire to be formally invited to the Board meetings. They would like to be specifically invited and have a staff member on the agenda to present on topics and goals. Some discussion followed on recognition of staff when big programs are finished; informing the staff on what the role of the Board is and what they specifically do.  Jim recommends that at least one Board member attend the management team meetings on a periodic schedule.  Deb would like the Board to attend the staff meeting to share what they just approved – The Vision/Mission Statement. 

Action Items: Patricia moved to approve the Vision/Mission Statement, Clark seconded, all voted in favor.

Review of Board functions assessment tool – The forms were handed out to be completed and can be given to Deb.  She and Lisa will do the scoring and follow up at the next meeting. Board members were asked to add to the List of potential Board members via email, to be discussed at the next meeting. Jim asked whether the profile assessment would be used, Missy added that it is a useful tool for Boards from time to time This group has not been through this exercise and decided to go ahead with it.  Patricia will not be able to attend the YA Board meetings as planned.  Nancy will attend. Deb will send an email to Steve to inform him of the change.

More discussion followed on engagement with the staff and inviting them to the Board meetings, which are public and open to all to attend at any time.  When staff members are asked to attend the meetings or to present, it is paid time, if they are just attending as a public meeting it is not.

Action Item: Jim made a motion that a management team member be asked by Deb to attend each Board meeting, Patricia seconded, there was a call for discussion.  Clark doesn’t agree that a staff member should come to each and every meeting and it should not be mandated as it is not an efficient use of their time. Deb added that it would advantageous to any staff wanting to move up in the organization.  All voted in favor, the motion passed.

Follow up with Friends & Foundation Boards - Pauline was to follow up on this but the Foundation Board hasn’t met yet.  She will bring it to the next meeting or the meeting in March.  Clark will lead this conversation at the next Foundation meeting.  Lisa & the Friends have not had a chance to address this follow up as none of the Friends were able to attend the workshop. 

Patricia made a motion to adjourn, Jim seconded.