LIBRARY HOURS: MON-THU 10-8pm FRI 10-6pm SAT 10-5pm & SUN 1-5pm | Closures | (307) 733-2164

The Teton County Library

Font Size:



June 20, 2013

Minutes Teton County Library Board Meeting Approved 7/18/13
Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:15 PM
Teton County Library is the community’s open door to a world of opportunity and fulfillment through resources, programs and services that connect, inspire and educate.

Public Public Hearing: Public Comments on Proposed Update to Meeting Room Policy
Preside President Lisa Delaney called the meeting to order at 1:18 P.M. to accept any public comments on the proposed update to Meeting Room Policy.  There were no public comments.  It was noted that this resolution and affidavit of publication is on public record.  Public hearing adjourned.

Attend Attending were: Board members-Jim Moses, Lisa Delaney, Clark Heindl, Patricia Moeller and   incoming board member Carol Peck;  TCL Foundation staff-Missy Falcey and Pauline Towers-Dykeman; TCL staff-Deb Adams and Sally McCullough.  TC Commission liaison Melissa Turley joined the meeting at 1:30.

Correspondence Report-None

Public Comment-None

Section 215 Report-None

Consent Agenda
Minutes from May 2013 board meeting
Correspondence Report
June vouchers
Director’s Report
Foundation Report
Friends Report
Action Item: Approve Consent Agenda-Jim moved to approve the Consent Agenda, Clark seconded, all voted in favor.

Updated Meeting Room Policy
Review of Updated Meeting Room Policy
Deb gave a refresher on the high points. The main change to this policy is allowing public use of the computer room and allowing for-profit groups to use the rooms for a set fee. Non-profits will still be able to use the rooms for free.
Action Item: Vote on Meeting Room Policy-Jim moved to approve the Updated Meeting Room Policy, Clark seconded, all voted in favor.

FY13 Budget
Review of Recommendation on FY13 Budget Amendments
Review of Request to Allocate FY13 Capital Repairs
Action Items: Vote on FY13 Budget Amendments-Jim moved to approve the FY13 Budget Amendments, Patricia seconded, all voted in favor.
Vote on FY13 Capital Repairs Reserve Allocation-Clark moved to approve the FY13 Capital Repairs Reserve Allocation, Jim seconded, all voted in favor.


Friday Open Hours
Recommendation on Proposed Change to Friday Open Hours-for the past month we have experimented with the 5:30 Friday closing, and stayed open until 6:00. The past month has relieved the pressure to close by 5:30.  Patricia asked how much this would cost over the course of a year.  Deb noted that staff will simply be moving their hours from back of house hours to desk hours.  Parents seem to be unable to pick up their children by 5:30 on Fridays.  Monday through Thursday the library is open until 8:00 P.M.  Staff is in support of this change.  When asked how the Commissioners would feel about it, Melissa said they would like to see the library remain open as many hours as possible and thought they would support it.
Action Item: Vote on Friday Open Hours-Patricia moved to approve the Friday Open Hours, Clark seconded, majority voted in favor, motion passed.

Strategic Planning
Preparation for new board members-July 9th is the next staff meeting which new board members Carol Peck & Audrey Hagen will attend.  Lisa will host an informal mixer at her house for incoming/outgoing & current board members.  Deb will follow up with Keith on the board orientation he offered to do for new members.  The Foundation would like to have some time to meet with the new board members as well.
Engagement with Staff-this has remained on the agenda as the board identified this during their strategic planning.  Deb suggested maybe following up with staff after the results of the Denizen Survey.  This is the 4th time we have participated in the survey.  This is an organizational culture survey, which measures Mission, Involvement, Adaptability and Consistency.  Some discussion followed on where are we with the compensation committee.
Follow up with Friends & Foundation Boards-Lisa has gone with Lokey to see where the book shed could possibly be located on the Housing Authority Property.  The Foundation staff will attend the next Friends meeting.  They now have more time to look at advocacy and how to define it with the mission, which will require close collaboration with the Library & Friends boards.  Pauline reported on Old Bill’s, they have been out of the print media aspect of OBFR for some time.  Their goal is to increase 15% contributions/gifts this year and will be focusing on staff, which patrons say is what they love about the library.  Pauline showed a mock up of ads with staff as super heroes.

There being no new business, Clark moved to adjourn.  Meeting adjourned at 2:06 PM.