LIBRARY HOURS: MON-THU 10-8pm FRI 10-6pm SAT 10-5pm & SUN 1-5pm | Closures | (307) 733-2164

The Teton County Library

Font Size:



October 18, 2012

Teton County Library Board Meeting Minutes Approved 11/15/2012
Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:00 P.M.
Teton County Library

President Lisa Delaney called the meeting to order at 12:00 P.M.

Attending were: Board members – Lisa Delaney, Nancy Guthrie and Clark Heindl; Teton County Commission liaison - Paul Perry attended for Andy Schwartz: TCL staff – Deb Adams, Dail Barbour and Sally McCullough; TCL Foundation staff – Missy Falcey and Pauline Towers-Dykeman.

Correspondence from the public – None.

Approval of Minutes – Nancy moved to approve the minutes from September 20, 2012, Clark seconded, all voted in favor.

Section 215 Report - No requests.

Friends Report – No report but it was noted the book sale begins this afternoon.

Foundation Report – Missy reported that final numbers on Old Bill’s Fun Run were up 11% up on dollars & up 7% on discreet number of gifts, with very good staff participation.
Donor Recognition – They met with Deb & Dail and have made a substantial departure from donor recognition in the past, to a more web based digital recognition.  They want to continue ongoing recognition of past donors to the building, with a plaque, which will be placed in the entrance lobby.  This will be a listing of about 27 donors and will be fabricated along with the Library’s dedication plaque. It will be similar in design and placed near the dedication plaque.  Pauline presented a draft proposal of the wording for this.
They are preparing for a donor cocktail party which will be on a Friday evening in conjunction with the January 31st grand opening in the Western Reading room.  They would life to serve alcohol at this event and are requesting approval from the board.  As per policy, they are required to hire a caterer to serve alcohol.  It will be a ticketed event.
Action Items: Approve Foundation event with allowance for serving alcohol according to policy – Nancy moved to approve this item, Clark seconded, all voted in favor.

Financials
The Survey of County Board Finances report, which is prepared annually by our CPA was presented for Board review.
Monthly Report-Questions & Answers - Deb provided a more detailed report on the building project (see attached).  Stan, Dail & Deb went over the budget again.  Deb reported that Admin. & Entitlement expenses are complete. GEJCC will adjust more savings that are not yet posted.  We are at about 90% completion on the project.  The contingency is at about $162,000 including ours & GEJCC. Dail would like the board to consider possibly allocating some of this to the repairs reserve fund since we have not been able to do so for several years.
Action Items: Approve Vouchers-Clark moved to approve the vouchers, Nancy seconded, all voted in favor.

Director’s Report
Review Organizational Chart (see attached)
The chart was reviewed.  The Board would like to hear from some more team managers.  Deb recommended possibly hearing from the CIC team as they are working on how to best use the computer classroom, possibly collaborating with other community organizations.
Action Items: None.

Facilities Planning
Project Timeline Update - We are on schedule, the final closure is scheduled for January.  GEJCC is ahead of schedule on the staff area and will be done on Nov. 9th.  Staff will then move back in that area.  GEJCC can then work on the auditorium sooner than expected.  The closure will be Jan. 2nd through the 13th.  We may need to adjust these closure dates.  The Public art will hopefully be installed during this closure as well as the Friends moving back onsite. 

Public Art Update – Brian Brush, the artist, is still working on the ceiling option and will be here Nov. 2nd, to look at his options with the space.  He has gotten quite a bit of advice from the lighting engineers. There are issues around the weight of the fiber optics and heat of the controllers and there are now earthquake code issues to consider. The cost of these issues may affect the final product.  We may have to revisit the floor option.

Fireplace Update - The architects have been unable to find any other products that work any differently but they have come up with a suggestion.  We would install a metal frame with mesh, around the fireplace.  Dail called one of the engineers with M.E. Engineers and he feels that it would cool the surface to about 100 degrees, which would not cause injury.  He also feels the advantage of the mesh is additional cooling. Dail sent this option to Keith Gingery and he feels that it is acceptable.  Our project manager with GEJCC will get an estimate from his stainless steel fabricator, there are also some others in the area that we will get quotes from. 
Action items: None.

New Business:
Set Date for Board Retreat – The date for this has been set for Wednesday, December 12th, it will be all day.  Lisa will find a location and notify the Board by email.

Executive Session: Personnel Matter - Clark moved to go into executive session.
The board came out of executive session at 1:24 PM. Clark moved to adjourn the meeting, Nancy seconded.  Meeting adjourned at 1:25 PM.