Meeting Minutes

Board Meeting Minutes

Approved 9/28/2017

TETON COUNTY LIBRARY BOARD MEETING

Thursday, August 17, 2017 12:00 pm

 

Board Member Attendance

Present: Ari Goldstein, John Hebberger, Jr., Mark Hendrickson, Carol Peck, Susan Scarlata

 

Audience:  Valerie Maginnis, Library Director; Isabel Zumel, Assistant Director; Rebecca Huntington, Communications Manager; Madeleine Sturmer, IT Manager; Pauline Towers-Dykeman, Teton County Library Foundation Executive Director; Judy Opatrny, Teton County Library Foundation; Karen Terra, Teton County Library Foundation; Keith Gingery, Deputy County Attorney; Cindy Knight.

 

Board Chair John Hebberger, Jr. called the meeting to order with a quorum present.

 

Public Comment

No public comment.

 

 “Get to Know” TCL Staff – Susan Centrella, Collection Services Manager

Susan Centrella introduced herself, noting that she has been employed with Teton County Library for 25 years.  She described that in her new manager role, she’ll be providing guidance on making the library’s print and digital collections as responsive to community desires as possible.  Towards the end September, the library will begin learning how to use Edelweiss, a tool that will give us continual and more detailed data on how our collection is used.  Another focus is getting library materials out as efficiently and accurately as possible.  This includes looking at processes for selecting, continually weeding and marketing our collections.  She’ll also be overseeing the implementation of our collection development policies.   One change to the Collection Services division is the addition of oversight of circulation processes and this includes interlibrary loan.

 

Carol asked if we are at our maximum with books on our shelves.  Susan responded that our intention is not to add shelves, and that we are currently not maxed out.  We are creating more space for face outs and having our collection be even better at meeting patrons’ desires for popular materials.  This means maintaining a balance of filling patron’s requests as immediately as possible with multiple copies of new items and making decisions about how much to add and keep, and for how long.  Mark asked how the process of collecting materials works.  Susan said that our library has multiple selectors that specialize in different collections and look at a variety of data and reviews.  She added that Edelweiss will provide additional data to inform decisions of what to add to our collections.  Carol asked what a typical week in terms of collections looks like.  Susan shared that selection responsibilities are ongoing and include reading reviews and running reports using different parameters to make the most responsive selections.  Selectors must also determine on an ongoing basis what should come out of the collections.  There are public library parameters called CREW that we use for these determinations.  John asked who reports to the Collection Services Manager.  Susan said that there are five full-time staff; this includes three Library Assistant Seniors that are involved in acquisition, processing and linking items to get them into circulation, a Librarian that oversees interlibrary loan and a Circulation Services Specialist that monitors circulation functions and supervises our Library Pages.  John noted that Susan is the longest tenured employee of our library.

 

Wyoming County Library Board Members: Roles and Responsibilities

Deputy County Attorney Keith Gingery provided board members with a booklet that includes state statutes regarding public libraries.  The library board is a governing body, which means it has authority to hire and fire a Library Director.  It can also sue and be sued.  Keith commented that in his view, the library board works efficiently and understands that it keeps focus on mission, strategic plan, as well as its work with the Library Director and does not micromanage. 

 

Keith explained that oversight of funds and ensuring that public funds go to public purposes is a responsibility of the board.  Government property should also not be used for private use.  It is best practice that tax payer funding not go towards gifts for board members.  Board members can be given unlimited food and beverages by constituents, but cannot receive anything else valued more than $250.  The board should entrust the Board Treasurer for real review of expenditures.  This includes reviewing what is being paid and to ask questions if something is unusual or unique, if there are new vendors or amounts that are out of the ordinary.  By statute, vouchers need to be signed, affirming goods received.  Another aspect to be watchful for is vouchers processed, but no goods received.

 

There are three types of board meetings – regular meetings, special meetings and emergency meetings.  Regular meetings are those with specific dates that the public has been provided notice.  Special meetings must be publically noticed at least 8 hours prior to the meeting with a specific agenda that cannot be altered.   We can officially notice meetings in the newspaper of record, which is the Jackson Hole News and Guide.  Currently, meeting the requirement of providing public notice is by and large via email to individuals who have requested to receive notice of meetings by providing their email address.  Sunshine laws in Wyoming are such that boards discuss and make decisions in public so that the public is informed.  Board email communication should be primarily procedural (meeting times, logistics).  To comply with sunshine laws, persuasion on a topic by email among board members should be avoided.  If email communication gets into substantive issues, the board should submit the email thread into public record.

 

In terms of mill levy taxes, the county’s process is to look at county department budgets first and then determine the mill levy.  The library is usually below three mills.

 

Ari asked about emergency meetings.  Keith responded that these meetings are rare and usually are called in the event of filing a moratorium.  These meetings do not need to be noticed, but affirming decisions made in an emergency meeting should be done during a public meeting that is noticed.  Susan Scarlata asked if the library has ever been involved in a lawsuit.  Keith said that the library rarely has the kind of matters that open up to a lawsuit.  With personnel issues, the County Human Resources Director is involved and occasionally seeks assistance from the county attorney’s office.  Carol asked about the purposes of Executive Sessions.  Keith explained that executive sessions may take place during regular or special meetings with a motion to vote to enter into executive session.  Executive sessions are for personnel issues that involve an individual employee or an identifiable group of employees.  Disciplinary discussions should occur in executive sessions.  Discussion of position duties should happen in public meeting.  Matters related to purchasing land are also appropriate for executive sessions.  Minutes for executive session can be written or recorded.

 

Consent Agenda:  Minutes from 7/20/2017 Board Meeting, Correspondence Report, July 2017 Financials, Director’s Report, Library Supporting Organization Reports – Teton County Library Foundation and Teton County Library Friends

 

Carol and John asked to pull the Director’s Report.

 

Action Item: Mark moved to approve the Consent Agenda. Carol seconded. All voted in favor.

 

Regarding the Director’s Report, Carol asked about the report on voting about library hours and how we narrowed the choice to Monday-Thursday hours and not other hours.  Valerie said that we are currently in the midst of the poll.  From community feedback and observing library use, we were already considering adding an hour on Sundays, likely 12-5pm.  Our Saturday hours are currently 10am-5pm and from observation, these hours seem appropriate.  The poll also has a comment field and individuals have been providing feedback about weekend hours in this field.  Our plan is to increase hours by about 10%, which is up to 6 hours.  We also need to look at staffing to support this.  In the Strategic Plan Community Survey, we received the most feedback on earlier and later hours on the weekdays and fewer comments related to the weekend.  We will continue to monitor the comments that come in with the poll to test our hypothesis that adding an hour on Sundays is what the community really wants.  Carol commented that if adding weekend hours was a consideration, it should have been noted in the poll.  Madeleine replied that adding more text to the poll page would not have made the poll as responsive because the voting piece would appear further down the page, particularly on a device.

 

John said that the Director’s Report listed which library board members would be making contact with each of the County Commissioners.  John reminded board members to make contact and asked Ari to provide a brief update on his meeting with Commissioner Vogelheim.  Ari said that Commissioner Vogelheim was enthusiastic about having an informal chat. The Commissioner asked several questions about the employee housing support the library has developed.  They also talked about the library’s budget and that the FY 18 budget was a smaller request than FY 17, but that they may not always be the case based on needs.  Commissioner Vogelheim was aware of this and understood.  John shared that he generally meets with Commissioner Newcomb two times a year, and that these informal discussions have been useful both ways.

 

Action Item: Ari moved to approve the Director’s Report. Susan seconded.  All voted in favor.

 

Payment of Library Vouchers

Ari reported that he pulled one voucher for landscaping in order to request a more detailed accounting of the work.  Staff are following up on getting a more detailed invoice.  There were no other anomalies.  Ari mentioned that he is in discussion with Library Operations Coordinator, Mary Jo Pollard, about having the library’s accountant check reconciliations quarterly versus monthly.  The auditors were at the library in the previous week and they identified a few things to clean up to close the books for the previous fiscal year.

 

Action Item: Ari moved to approve payment of monthly vouchers. Carol seconded. All voted in favor.

 

Family Place Library Presentation – Mary Flamino, Youth Services Manager & Eva Dahlgren, Alta Branch Library

Mary and Eva described attending the national Family Place Library training in April.  Mary commented that what the library is currently providing is a great basis to build on and will strengthen our offerings, primarily for children under 3 and their parents through play-based programming, such as Parent Child Workshops with community partners and Baby Time program offerings. Mary and Eva explained that between birth and age 3 is a key time for development. At birth, babies’ brains are 25% wired and by age three, 90% wired.  Eva said that the benefits of being a Family Place Library is that it makes us part of a national network with access to many early literacy resources.  Valerie said that the Library Foundation funded the training and supplies for implementation.  We will publically acknowledge the Foundation as the supporter of this initiative.

 

The library board viewed the Family Place Library overview video.  Mary said that we will be starting Baby Time programming in this fall.  These are child-led informal play for infants and their parents, and that this fills a gap not covered by Toddler Time and Story Time.  Later, we will begin offering Parent Child Workshops, which are also play based and will give parents the chance to talk with other parents and community resource specialists who can often refer for early interventions before school begins.  The Youth Wing space and collections will undergo some changes to incorporate Family Place.  Eva said the same programming, space and collection enhancements will take place in Alta on a smaller scale.  Mary explained that she will be training the Youth Services staff on aspects of Family Place starting in the fall.  Valerie noted that a Family Place overview will be shared at the September library staff meeting to familiarize all staff.  Susan asked if there will be efforts to target different families.  Eva responded that Family Place pieces will be translated into Spanish.  John said that he looks forward to another board update on Family Place in January 2018.

 

Request to Serve Alcohol – TC Library Foundation Event on August 27

Valerie referenced the report in the board packet about the request to serve alcohol at a Library Foundation event on August 27, 2017.  The event is a social gathering book swap, which will be ticketed and held onsite on Sunday, August 27 from 5:30-7pm, which is after regular library hours.  Per the library’s Alcohol Policy, it is required that the library board approves such events.  In compliance with the policy, the proposed event will be catered by a professional caterer with a current catering permit. The event will feature light refreshments, including wine and beer.

 

Action Item: Carol moved to approve the request to serve alcohol at the ticketed Library Foundation event on August 27. Mark seconded. All voted in favor.

 

 

TCL Succession Planning Document

Valerie referenced the report in the board packet about succession planning.  She explained that she identified key positions that needed to be looked at for short term absences or vacancies due to circumstances such as retirement.  The key positions were the Library Director, Assistant Director, Facilities Maintenance Coordinator, Library Operations Coordinator and IT Manager.  Valerie described utilizing a template that applied to public sector agencies to line out multiple options.  With appropriate training, managers can be prepared to cover in the event of vacancies or absences.  An important element of succession planning is working closely to train managers to develop skills and abilities to take on greater responsibilities.  The library department realignment of manager supervision was a good starting point.  Manager training will be a focus over the next two years.

 

John said that he thought there were few things more important than considering succession planning.  Carol asked how detailed of a succession plan we should developed.  Valerie said that this first document was a starting point and requested the board’s input.  Carol asked for clarification of what was referred to in the document as internal versus external knowledge.  Valerie replied that in certain positions, external knowledge and skill set will be critical to fill the position as we may not currently have that staff skill set or interest already in-house.  John commented that he looked forward to greater specificity – how we plan to pick up instantly in the event of a critical absence or vacancy, as well as identifying who to train.  John asked if there will be an aspect of training for all staff.  Valerie responded that customer service training will be provided to all staff and that customer service training and competencies will be included in staff annual performance evaluations.  For managers, we are identifying specific training opportunities related to their positions and for overall management skill development.  We have been using more online training courses to accomplish this.  John said that the proposal of a Senior Library Manager needs more discussion with Valerie.  He understands that this proposal is trying to address an issue that is important for the library’s long-term health.  Valerie said she looks forward to further discussing that idea.

 

Action Item:  John moved to adjourn the library board meeting.  All voted in favor.