Part Time Library Assistant
- Under direct supervision, performs paraprofessional library work; participates in the activities of a specialized library function such as circulation; provides general information and assistance at the public service desks. Actively upholds the library’s stated mission, vision and values. Performs other related work as necessary.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Interprets and applies library policies and procedures for patrons and staff.
- Advises and assists library patrons in the use of meeting/study rooms, online catalog, online resources, the Internet, devices, printers, copiers and other peripherals.
- Assists library patrons in making the most effective use of library services including accessing and retrieving information using traditional and electronic resources, including circulation systems, library databases and the Internet.
- Accesses and retrieves information for library patrons and staff as requested.
- Researches and responds to patron’s questions; refers questions as appropriate.
- Performs a variety of detailed and advanced clerical work including maintaining accurate and detailed records, verifying accuracy of information, researching discrepancies and recording information.
- Collects, discharges, sorts, shelves and files all library materials using appropriate filing system.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Two years of customer service experience required
- One year of relevant library work experience preferred.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential duties.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish, both verbally and in writing, preferred.
Required Licenses and Certifications:
- Must possess a valid Wyoming/Idaho Driver’s License.
Required Knowledge of:
- Standard library rules, policies, procedures, methods and techniques.
- Computer software which may include word processing, spreadsheets, and graphics applications.
- Administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, and other office procedures.
- Library database systems to include how they are utilized for patron records, cataloging, circulation, reporting, and research.
Required Skills in:
- Keeping current on established library policies and procedures and applying them fairly.
- Exercising good judgment and exhibit good problem solving skills.
- Accuracy and thoroughness with filing, materials placement and following procedural steps.
- Customer Service: Able to effectively and positively meet or exceed the needs of the Library’s diverse internal and external customers; welcomes interactions in a friendly and polite manner; responds promptly; provides alternatives to “no”; applies procedures and policies fairly; follows up to evaluate customer satisfaction.
- Job Knowledge: Able to understand the job requirements and demonstrates the skills and abilities to perform the job efficiently and effectively; follows library procedures and policies; learns and applies new skills and knowledge; maintains flexibility; accepts change, and adapts with curiosity and enthusiasm.
- Teamwork: Able to work together toward a common goal in a library-wide spirit of cooperation by supporting each other’s efforts to achieve organizational excellence and provide quality service; shares information, knowledge, and skills with fellow employees; seeks solutions that benefit all parties; manages own time effectively and respects others’ time.
- Communication: Presents information in a form which his understandable and accurate; listens effectively and actively; takes into account different audiences and chooses best communication format; demonstrates good understanding and command of English grammar, both written and oral.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
- Work is primarily performed in a standard office environment.
- Schedule to include evenings and weekends.
- Must be able to bend, move and lift objects up to 35 pounds.