Cabin Fever Story Slam
Live storytelling competition
Tell a true story, inspired by our theme “Mistake” without notes, in less than five minutes and win accolades for your storytelling prowess, plus free pizza!
How to compete
Show up and throw your name in the hat. We’ll select 10 storytellers at random. Storytellers will be judged on how well they stick to our theme, stay within 5 minutes and set up a conflict and resolution. No notes!
- Drop your name in the hat BEFORE 7 p.m. and get a free drink token. (Happy Hour 5:30-7:30 p.m.)
- Storytellers, who take the stage, earn a free slice of Pinky G’s pizza.
- Top three storytellers win prizes, including our coveted Cabin Fever cap.
- Listen to past stories on Soundcloud.
- Sign up for our ecalendar or follow us on social media to get announcements of upcoming Cabin Fever Story Slams.
Tips for preparing
- Choose a true, personal story that you love.
- Tell, retell and refine. When you tell your story out loud, listen for pacing and places to trim.
- Be sure your story has a conflict and resolution. No rants, stand-up comedy or essays.
- Start and end strong, with memorable first and last lines.
- The best stories have room for self-reflection, a universal theme and something at stake. But they may come from seemingly small moments.
- Practice out loud until you can tell your story without notes or prompts. Try telling it to your plants or friends so you can relax and have fun performing for a new crowd.