Genealogy: Newspapers & Media
WED, NOV 6
10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Get The Scoop On Your Ancestors!
Add the stories to your family tree. Search the newspapers for births, deaths, and marriages. An elusive ancestor may have been featured in the local paper as a pioneer, person of interest or legal notices. Learn how to search, print, and save articles. The library provides a free subscription to newspapers.com which includes all Teton County newspapers and may be used in the library for free. Wyoming Libraries also provides an award winning newspapers site for Wyoming State. Several other public resources will be featured.
There will be time in the class to explore each site so bring your family tree with dates and places. You may bring your own computer or use one of the PCs in the Learning Lab. Click here to sign up.
Personal Genealogist Workshop
WED, NOV 6
Do you need assistance with a specific family tree search or a "brick wall" in your lineage? Bring your questions and problems along with your genealogy papers. The instructor will work individually with you in making a plan for your research and searching Ancestry with several advanced techniques. Basic knowledge of how to use Ancestry is required. Bring your personal computer or use one of the PC's in the lab. Class size is limited to 4 patrons. Click here to sign up.
What You'll Learn
In the Genealogy Classes you can learn about the following topics:
- Find and use census information.
- Find and use library databases including ancestry international, world vitals records, proquest and historical maps.
- Find the best sites for historical newspapers and books.
- Save, organize and print from these sites.
- Historic Map Works is an extensive digital map collection, with more than 400,000 high-resolution, full-color historic maps.
- Proquest Historical Newspapers are historical newspapers that provide genealogists, researchers and scholars with online, easily-searchable first-hand accounts and unparalleled coverage of the politics, society and events of the time.
- U.S. History in Context covers themes, events, individuals and periods in U.S. history from pre-Colonial times to the present.